Sunday, May 27, 2012

Oui, Oui Paris!


Over the Easter weekend, Chris and I travelled by Eurostar to Paris to have a very cultured (Us? Ha! Not really…) Parisian adventure. It all started with an early morning tube ride to Kings Cross and me in my naivety believing that we could just walk on to the train, so why leave early? Yeah, probably that small thing called customs. No harm, no foul – we boarded eventually (with a small lesson learnt for me!). Separated the whole way, I got to listen to a tour leader of a 70years+ group garble about some old people crap. Still not sure if I would have preferred Chris though… (joking…). We made our way to Paris de nu Gord and then it was off to navigate the Metro system, which luckily proved to be quite easy! Something, something Pablo Picasso and we were on our way.

In true Chris and I style, the first thing we did after arriving was eat. After that, we ventured in to the city to have a look around. It really is a beautiful city. Everything is so grand and magnificent – just gorgeous. We spent our afternoon/night checking out the sights and oohing and aaahing over most things (probably eating too – my memory is fuzzy but that’s a pretty sure bet). Deciding that the next day we would wake up and get to the Eiffel Tower early to avoid the Easter Sunday rush, it was off to bed with us.

... the Eiffel bloody Tower, hey. What to say. Up early(ish) we were dressed in our best Parisian garb (grey coat for me, black jacket for Monsieur Baker) and made our way to the Metro armed with croissants (to fulfill our fantasy of eating one atop the tower!). From the moment we arrived it became pretty clear that every other person in Paris had decided to do the same thing. Five excruciating hours later (mostly spent playing ‘Who would you do?’ and asking hypotheticals – in one of which Chris said he would choose me to be killed – I love you too, CB) we had our tickets and were on the way up. The view from the top truly was breathtaking. Would I wait 5 hours again? Probably not. Am I glad I did it? For sure. By the time we got down from the tower, our dreams of visiting the Louvre that day had been dashed, so a stroll around Paris – eating at patisseries before heading back to hostel had to suffice. All in all, not a bad compromise.

If you were in a city steeped with history and culture, how would you choose to spend one of your days there? EuroDisney, you say? Us too! Catching the train out to Paris’ Penrith equivalent was hrm, interesting and just a bit disconcerting with the men controlling the station with rifles – is the EuroDisney train line that dangerous? Really? Anyway, once there we got ourselves a pass for both the parks and headed off inside. We went on many a ride, waited in many a line, got rained on and generally had a good time. The Paris Disneyland was very European (strange that) and smaller and less crowded than the other two I’ve been to. As the rain started to really set in, we made our way back into Paris and back to the hostel to prepare ourselves for the next day.

I must be getting old because my memory is becoming fuzzy (probably shouldn’t leave my blog posts to 8 weeks after the event, but I digress). I do remember waiting in a line at the Catacombs for about 2 and half hours and thinking that seemed reasonable after previous experiences. Eating at a patisserie, shopping a little and looking at some more cultural stuff.

On our last day, we had a good 2 hours before we had to catch the train back to London. Just the right amount of time to look at the Louvre, right? I honestly believe Chris and I did the most whirlwind tour that anyone has ever done. We were basically running through the halls, beckoning the culture to absorb itself into us. After about 7 near fatal falls on the slippery marble, and checking out all the big artworks (but being more impressed by the lesser known ones), we made our way back to Paris Du Nord to catch the train back into London.

So, Paris – what can I say? I will always remember you as the city where I had to line up for EVERYTHING, the city with the BEST cakes, the city that always slightly smelled like urine and the city where I got to spend 4 days with one of my best friends in the whole world. Loved every minute of it.

Best Attraction – The Louvre – I really regret not being able to spend a whole lot more time there. Next time, I guess. 
Nicest Food – Pistachio éclair. O.M.G. 
Most Killer Purchase – Ring from the Louvre. 
Funniest moment – Oooo, tough one. Chris dropping the croissant. Or, Paris by Dido. Actually, definitely Paris by Dido.
What I'll take from the trip – That I am so lucky to have a friend like Chris. Love you to bits buddy. 

Next stop - Amsterdam! Until then, enjoy the pictures!
Bec xo

 Full of beautiful buildings!

I think delirious by this point. 

  Cool, but creepy in the Catacombs.

Uhh, someone has already painted that same picture, love. 

 Ancient Egypt, down by the Nile...

Eating a croissant at the Eiffel Tower... okay, okay - in the line at the Eiffel Tower but you would have been hungry too!

xo

 A cool photo that Chris took of the Arc De Triumph. 

Miss you buddy. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! Loves it!!! Especially the Penrith analogy, I'm sure Bennett would appreciate it. Now, time for the amsterdam post ;)

    ReplyDelete