Monday, April 30, 2012

A Couple of Days in Copenhagen!

Okay, okay. I went to Copenhagen on February 14th. I'll be the first to admit that I've been a little slack updating this blog, but it's better late than never - right?

This was my first European trip since arriving in the UK and to be honest with you, I don't know why I chose Denmark. I think maybe it appealed to me considering my heritage from way back is Danish - either way, there I was.

I flew into Copenhagen on an icy, cold Valentines night. I had to laugh at the air steward who on the message said "Wishing all you romantics a very happy Valentines Day... and to all you singles on board - just try to have a nice Tuesday, ok?" Thanks dude, I'll try my darndest! As I got off the plane I was met with snow and freezing point temperatures. The cab driver was in amazement as to why I would visit at such a cold time of the year, assuring me that Denmark in Summer was it's most beautiful. Two thumbs up for the reassurance! After the informative trip where I was questioned about my family heritage even after I clearly said "Dude, I don't really know anything", I arrived at my hostel. I stepped out of the cab and slipped on the ice whilst simultaneously almost getting run over by the cab I had just paid a (soon to be found out) ridiculous amount of Euros for. Not a great start! By this time it was almost 9.30pm so I checked in, checked out the hostel, grabbed something from close by to eat and tried to sort out my plans for the next day.

Not being the greatest with plans, I woke up the next day and thought that I'd just walk around and see where the city took me. I did know though, that high on my list of priorities was acquiring a Danish pastry, and visiting the world's largest LEGO store (both totally valid choices if you ask me!). I walked around through the cobbled streets and checked out things here and there, admiring the buildings along the way as much as I could in the freezing weather. I spotted one of those hop on, hop off buses and thought that it might be a good way for me to check out what's in the city, plus learn a bit more about it as well. So on I got to admire Copenhagen (and stay warm). I hopped off at the Little Mermaid, which was sitting in a basically frozen lake. I'd met a girl at my hostel who was just about having an aneurysm about the fact that she was going to see it - I really didn't get that, but it was nice all the same. I got off at the Amalienborg Royal Palace and had a walk around, checking out the ornate buildings and the beautiful interiors. I looked out for that Australian Princess, but couldn't see her anywhere - what a shame. After that, I walked down to the colourful houses of Nyhavn and saw the frozen canals, checking out things that interested me along the way. As I made my way back for the day, I had my first pastry - oh yeah. I met some interesting (and weird) people that night in the hostel, and chatted about random things with them before heading off to sleep.

The next day I woke up early to go down to watch the changing of the guards at the Royal Palace. Now I've seen this in London too, and maybe it's just me, but I don't really get it. It's cool for a bit, but god - hurry it up guys! After I had a look at that, and admired the Opera House from afar, I decided to partake in one of my favourite things - shopping. I headed back into Stroget and went directly to Copenhagen's largest department store 'Magasin Du Nord'. Inside was filled with the most beautiful things. If I had the money, I could have gone mental. I started with handbags and clothes and made my way floor by floor up to the home wares. Woah. I ummed and ahhed over spending the equivalent of 100 pounds on a wooden hippo that was actually a decoration for a child's room (ridiculous, but so adorable!) and wished that I owned a house that I could decorate with Danish design. It was just so gorgeous and interesting. Having already decided that in every place I visit that I get to buy one really nice thing was proving difficult here. In Copenhagen, I chose a new winter hat by the Danish designer Mads Norgaard. It seemed fitting considering that my one lasting memory of Copenhagen will probably be how cold it was - hah. After my purchase from Magasin Du Nord (and one pretty tasty lunch!) I found what I'd been looking for - the world's largest LEGO store. Okay, I'm a nerd for stuff like this, but I could have stayed there for ages (... I kinda did). All throughout the store were huge displays of Copenhagen landmarks (made from LEGO of course) and awesome LEGO sculptures of people riding bikes (very apt considering that bike was THE mode of transport around town). I ooohed and ahhhed and wished I was 9 again for awhile, before making my own LEGO people, buying some superfluous things and then heading out. I walked the streets, played around with my camera and got disappointed that the Tivoli was closed (boo!). I found some nice bakeries and had some delicious pastry - oh yeah. I sat and people watched and just took in what Copenhagen was like. As lame as it sounds, my favourite thing to do was to listen to my music (The Hextalls - Get Smashed! was my record of choice in case anyone was wondering...) and walk around soaking it all in. I was a bit worried about how I'd go travelling alone, but I actually really enjoyed doing my own thing and taking my time - it was actually really relaxing!

The next morning I caught the train to the airport (for about a 10th of the price of the cab - grr) and caught a flight home (well, sorta home). I was feeling a little emotional on the phone looking at some photos of friends and family when the man next to me I think sensed it and proceeded to show me his pictures of camels and their babies. It was a bit random, but weirdly, it did make me feel better, hah.

For each trip I'm going to answer a few simple questions, so here are my first responses:

Best Attraction - hmm, Nyhaven.
Nicest Food - pastries and sandwiches - oh yeah.
Most Killer Purchase - Unique LEGO people.
Funniest moment - The random guy who was screeching in a McDonalds after his friend threw mayo all over his face whilst another of his friends tried to film the reaction of the people around without them knowing. Random, but hilarious - even more so because nobody batted an eyelid!
What I'll take from the trip - That I can travel by myself AND enjoy it!

Enjoy the pictures! Until next time!
Bec
xo










1 comment: