Sunday, July 15, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me! (or, a Weekend in Amsterdam)


So this year marked a first for me, my first birthday spent away from home. Thank god Chris was around, or I think I would have been a bit depressed about the whole situation otherwise. But how could I be depressed when my gift from Chris was two nights away in Amsterdam? Score! After leaving work at midday on the Friday, and hauling myself as quickly as I could to Gatwick, I was up and on my way to Holland.

After navigating my way from the airport to Amsterdam Central, I caught the boat over to our boatel where Chris was waiting for me. After assuring me that I still looked young (what a good friend!), we checked out our spacious, slightly rocky accommodation and then did what we do best – we ate. Satisfied, and slightly drunk, we headed back to plan what the next two days would look like.

Waking up on Saturday morning, we headed into the city and went off to Keukenhof, a huge flower festival in Holland (when in Rome, right?). It was pretty cool but after about an hour and half, we’d had enough flowers and headed back. We roamed around the city, checked out some different things, ate and ended up heading into the Vincent Van Gogh Museum, which was pretty cool, but funnily enough, missing some of his most notable works. Oh well. We went back to our hotel for a bit to get ready for our night exploring the nightlife of Amsterdam. We scoured the Red Light District checking out the ladies and ‘ladies’ of the night, dodging vomit, laughing at drunks and generally being amazed at the sleaziness of the whole thing.

Now thinking back on the Sunday I can’t actually recall what we did… this is a lesson learnt for everyone – don’t take more than two months to write your blog posts. Dingbat.

Anyway, I had a great time in Amsterdam, but it was bittersweet. Saying goodbye to Chris and knowing it would be months before I saw him again stung a little. I really am lucky to have such a good friend xo

Best Attraction – I dug the prettiness of Keukenhof.
Nicest Food – Larynx – am I right, Chris? Haha
Most Killer Purchase – Miffy products as far as the eye could see!
Funniest moment – Larynx/Saturday night.
What I'll take from the trip – Never assume that a black coloured sweet is blackcurrant. More than likely, it’s not.









No comments:

Post a Comment